Please note that nearly all of the features are optional and some are turned off by default.
- Zero-configuration installation on Unix.
- No root access required for installation.
- Additional modules can be installed using LuaRocks.
- Comes with a built-in Xavante servers but can run on other servers. (See WSAPI).
- Can be used with FastCGI.
- Windows installation is possible via LuaForWindows.
- User account creation.
- Email validation of new accounts.
- New account creation can be turned off.
- Password recovery via email.
- User nodes.
- Node "ownership".
- Gravatar integration.
- A permission system allows locking specific pages or classes of pages.
- More generally, specific actions or classes of actions on individual pages or classes of pages can be allowed or denied to individual users or classes of users.
- Nodes can be "owned" by users.
- Several markup options, with an interface for adding other markup engines.
- Markdown editing using MarkItUp.
- Configuration pages are syntax-checked in the editor.
- Preview mode.
- Passwords salted and hashed using POSIX crypt(3) if available, with MD5 otherwise. See Authentication for more info.
- Protection against XSS attacks — see XSS Filtering.
- Storing data as plain text files.
- Storing data in a git repository.
- Storing data in an SQL database.
- All data can be stored in the same storage system.
History and RSS
- History and diff (per page or overall), with RSS feeds for individual pages and the whole site.
- RSS for Changes by Recent Users.
- Inline diff between versions.
- An RSS feed for individual pages and the site as a whole.
- Configurable caching headers.
- HTTP compression.
- User interface available in English, Russian, Portuguese, and Spanish. (See Internationalization.)
- Easy to add your own language or change existing translations.
- Content and page names in any script with UTF8 support: see Спутник or 史潑尼克.
- User names can be in any left-to-right script.
- Typed pages with custom behaviors via prototype inheritance (see Node Fields).